Wednesday, April 7, 2010

lub-dub

On Monday, something magical happened.

I heard my baby's tiny little heart beating in its tiny little chest for the very first time.

I am eleven weeks along this week. My midwife told me that we probably won't be able to hear the heartbeat this week without using an ultrasound machine because it's still a little early. She told me not to worry if we didn't hear anything, I could just schedule an appointment for an ultrasound later in the week. After those comments, I honestly didn't expect to hear anything. She put some jelly on this little stethoscope thing attached to a speaker box. Then she pushed it to my uterus and...

LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB, LUB-DUB!!!

It was so loud that she actually gasped a little bit and exclaimed, "Oh, wow! It's a big, strong heartbeat!!" That made me feel great. Even though I've been feeling so yucky and malnourished, obviously my cute little parasite hasn't been affected much. She said that it sounded strong and healthy, which is exactly what every mom wants to hear.

Only a few weeks from now we'll finally be able to tell what sex it is. We feel pretty positive that it's a boy, but who knows. We will be absolutely thrilled if it's a girl, too. Especially since all the pregnant sisters in my family are either for sure having girls or else desperately want girls. Our poor little stud muffin will be stuck playing with dolls whenever his cousins are around! Or maybe he'll be cool enough that he can play with the older boys :) Even though I can't wait to know for sure, it's actually really exciting not knowing. That way I can dream about it either way and imagine lots of different things in my wandering mind that can only think about my baby.

At this point, though, I'm just glad to know there's actually something alive and kicking in there. And with such a strong little heart, maybe he'll be the next Michael Phelps or something. Who knows? :)

p.s. I didn't faint when I got my blood drawn. There's hope for me yet!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lub dub lub dub is the BEST sound in the world!!! cant wait to hear mine!

Unknown said...

Ah I love that you're prego! And I love you!

misha~sha-sha said...

Yay...no fainting! Congratulations on that one. And is the waiting killing you? I'm dying to find out! (maybe tomorrow!)