I took a floral design class this spring term at BYU to fulfill a GE art credit. It was such a fun class and I actually really learned a lot about how to use and treat flowers. Each week we had a lab where we would create a different design, and I thought I'd showcase some of the pretty arrangements that I made!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This one was a "cube design" made in a small, shallow, cube-shaped container. There is one large Gerbera daisy, carnations, waxflower, altroemeria, buttom mums, hypericum berries, daisy mums, spray roses, variagated pittosporum, and lemon leaf all crammed in there. Sorry, these are terrible pictures. I promise it was kind of cute in real life!
This next one was a "spring design in floral foam." We had to bring a basket or some sort of opaque container to put it in, and I chose to bring my favorite vintage colander that I love so much. For this design we learned how to design using floral foam as the base. The goal was to give it a fresh picked, natural, and garden-y feel. It has larkspur, iris, carnations, a couple of tulips, stock, button mums, waxflower, statice, lisianthus, leatherleaf, lemon leaf, and plumosa fern... Again, terrible pictures! Sorry!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In addition, we had to design an "everlasting bouquet" made of fake flowers. Luckily, JoAnn's was having a sale on all their fake flowers. I already had the vase from thrifting in Bakersfield but had never really found anything to use it for. Ranunculus are one of my favorite flowers, so I chose to design an arrangement using them as the focus. I also got some bunny tail and some sort of green berry that didn't have a name on the tag but I love them. I think it turned out great, and even Tyler likes it, which is always a big deal because he is Mr. Picky.
Finally, this week we did a hand-tied bridal bouquet. I didn't really love the way that mine turned out, but it was taking forever and I was tired and hungry and just wanted to go home... so I did a kind of half-hearted job. It's still okay, though haha. There are roses, waxflower, stock, and mini carnations. I went with coral, pink, and peach tones to celebrate the news that we're having a girl! ...Sorry, I couldn't go all-out pink. I am just not a pink person.
There were a few other labs that we did, including designing a bouquet that we wrapped in tissue paper and fun plastic to learn floral shop wrapping techniques, making fake flower pens to learn taping and wiring techniques, and making boutonnieres. Sorry, no pictures of those ones.
Overall, it was such a fun class. The teacher, Norah Hunter, has been teaching this class for almost 30 years and she is just a riot. There are tests where you have to memorize a bunch of flower common names and Latin names, but I actually really enjoyed that so that I can familiarize myself with more varieties of flowers to broaden my horizons. If you're still at BYU and need an art credit, I would highly recommend floral design (PWS 112) because it's easy, fun, useful, and you get fresh flowers to take home every week!
Overall, it was such a fun class. The teacher, Norah Hunter, has been teaching this class for almost 30 years and she is just a riot. There are tests where you have to memorize a bunch of flower common names and Latin names, but I actually really enjoyed that so that I can familiarize myself with more varieties of flowers to broaden my horizons. If you're still at BYU and need an art credit, I would highly recommend floral design (PWS 112) because it's easy, fun, useful, and you get fresh flowers to take home every week!
5 comments:
I love them all - you can send me your flower arrangements anytime you like! :)
what a cool class...thats so awesome! you did an awesome job kiki!
I took that class and loved it! Norah was my teacher too.I don't think she liked me though. I kept changing her rules. I also LOVED learning the names and I still haven't forgot most of them! Great and fun knowledge to have!
You are doing a great job too! I love the colors in your bridal bouquet. Doesn't that class just SMELL great too???
I love the everlasting bouquet- what's better than a pretty arrangement that never dies? Those ranuns are my favorite flower, too :)
These are so good! I wish I wouldve taken that class, it sounds like so much fun. I bet it was such a relaxing break from your other harder classes. I did a floral design class in high school but it was kind of a joke, our teacher had some kind of family emergency and was gone 3/4 of the semester.
That's so cool you lived in the North End!! We loved it up there! That's one place we definitely want to explore more when we visit. We both kept saying how cool it would be to liver there!
Post a Comment