Sunday, October 18, 2009

more school?

So, I totally hate school right now. Which definitely does not come as a surprise to you if you follow me on Twitter. Pretty much all I do on Twitter is complain about school and my job... both of which I hate right now haha. Not that I really hate school... it's just that my classes are ridiculously hard and time consuming and I get frustrated with how much it sucks out of my life and the fact that my homework is literally never. ever. done. which can be very stressful at times. Actually all the time.

So, I graduate this year, finally, after 5 years of undergraduate education. My first two years I basically took classes for no reason.. I studied Spanish and took voice lessons and lots of interesting religion and other random classes that were totally awesome, but in no way propelled me toward any kind of degree. Sometimes I think that was a mistake, but mostly I'm glad because it definitely diversified my education, however pointless that diversity may seem now.

So, I'm graduating. But what's a girl to do with an undergraduate degree in Genetics and Biotechnology? There's the million-dollar question, folks. It's always been my plan to go on and get a Master's and a PhD and maybe be a college professor and do cool research on whatever I want. Right now, though, 6 more years of school sounds like suicide. Especially if it's going to be as hard as or harder than my classes right now. Yikes. But Mr. Right and I have talked and fasted and prayed a lot about it... and what do you know, more school is what's going to happen.

woo hoo...

Did I sound excited enough? But seriously, though, after much thought and prayer, I have officially decided to apply to the University of Utah's Genetic Counseling program for the fall of 2010. It's a 2-year program, so I'll be finished at exactly the same time as Tyler will be with his BFA in Graphic Design. It's going to be hard to keep going to school for another two years straight (no summer breaks!) but in the end I think that genetic counseling will be a very rewarding and fulfilling career for me that I can carry on while still being a mom, too.

The next challenge, though? My application is due January 15, which means that I need to take the GRE oh, next week or so. Which means that I need to study for it and take it in a big hurry, which isn't exactly ideal because of paragraph #1 in this post, stating that my homework is never ending. The U only accepts 6 students a year for the program, so I'm going to have to be extremely competetive in my application, which I don't feel like I am at this point... so I'm going to have to find time to shadow a genetic counselor, do lots of volunteer work and start working in some professor's lab doing smart-sounding research so that I will look cooler and/or smarter. Yet again, though... never ending homework. Get my drift? And yet, here I am, blogging. Not doing all these other things that I should be doing... In the meantime, send all the positive and energetic thoughts my way that you can. I'm gonna need 'em.

9 comments:

Emily said...

Oh my goodness! Your life sounds crazy but I am so proud of your for figuring out exactly what you want to do! Let me know if you need help with anything and when you have some free time, let's get together? I miss you!

Alexandra said...

You are fabulous, and I miss you too! Keep on with all your great work, the world needs you!

kimmy said...

cute blog :) i am applying to grad school for next fall too!! my deadlines are also jan 15 (thats the first round deadlines and for financial aid consideration) but i am not planning to take the GRE until december... is that too late??

Unknown said...

Wow! Intense! Slash amazing! Love ya girl!

Angie said...

Wow. GOOD LUCK! You have more courage than I. You will do great I'm sure, and things will work out just the way they're supposed to. Sounds like you guys are going about things just the right way. I really admire your dedication to school and I think you're so so smart! I am amazed when you post the stuff you're learning about. Wayyy over my head! You GO girl!

Krystyna said...

Ahh I love you guys! Friends are the best when you feel insecure, eh? Kim-- I was told to take the GRE ASAP (sorry, that was a lot of letters!) but if I can wait until December to take it, that would be amazing!! I'm going to talk to my advisor about that... that would relieve a lot of pressure!

Coyfish said...

Go Krystyna! I am mucho impressed!

Dayna said...

You can do it girl!!!

You can!!!

Do you hear me??

I believe in you!! Seriously. I do.

I know you are going to do amazing things with that brain of yours.

You will succeed!! (haha-ok that one was kind of cheezy)

This is me bringing you the motivation you need.

Anonymous said...

lol...funny you should say that. i just sat down to do MY homework. well not just - like 30 minutes ago. and yet, here i am reading other peoples blogs...not doing what i should be doing. Sounds like you really have life figured out sissy, wish i was u!