Thursday, September 3, 2009

my new "friend"

So, the house that Tyler and I live in is adorable, yes, but old... and not in a cute vintage way. I'm talking sparkly popcorn ceilings, leaky faucets, dead lawn, and lots of spiders. When we moved in there was tinfoil covering all the little burner dishes on the stove. No big deal, lots of people cover those thingys with tinfoil so they don't have to scrub them, right? Yeah, well it turns out that the reason ours are covered with tinfoil is because there is years and years of nasty stuff collecting and burning onto them. I was so grossed out when I removed the foil and saw the horror underneath that I decided right then and there that I would scrub those bad boys clean... and I scrubbed... and I scrubbed... and not much happened. I got most of the nasty stuff off but they were still totally stained black. So my brilliant mother in-law let me in on a little secret... and look at these results!

Before:


After:

Seriously.

Those are real pictures. And the secret is... Barkeeper's Friend. I bought it for a couple of bucks at Williams-Sonoma.

I must warn you that it was not necessarily a quick fix... probably because this was a little bit of an extreme case... but I still had to scrub. But I scrubbed for 15 minutes and got like-new stainless steel as opposed to scrubbing for 40 minutes to have it still be totally black. Magic, huh! There is something strangely satisfying about cleaning something that seems impossible to clean. And our stove looks so much better without all that ghetto tin foil.

P.S. I think I have swine flu.

2 comments:

A. Verzello said...

That is amazing work! We actually have a gas stove which I'm excited about. If we didn't I probably would have had to borrow you new "Friend" for a day. I'll try to post some before/after pictures of our apt. It's pretty old and rustic (and not in the charming way, either), i.e. painted brass doorknobs, 3 different types of nasty carpet, and an unfinished paint job in the living room. But at least we have a brand new toilet.

Angie said...

THANK YOU! We have the same problem!