For those of you who don't know, I am a scientist. This summer I will be getting my degree from BYU in Genetics and Biotechnology. I'm going to venture out there and say that most people reading my blog don't really know much about the classes I'm taking... And since most of my classes would be boring to all the non-scientists out there (who wants to read about organic chemistry reactions or the machinery used to clone DNA?), I thought I would share some of the things I am learning that directly affect scientists and non-scientists alike.
I'm taking a class this semester on bioethics. In this class we will be discussing everything from teaching evolution in schools to same-sex couple adoption to euthanasia to stem cell research. This is the kind of stuff that will (and already does!) affect your life, whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, most people are unaware of such issues and are therefore quite ignorant of the facts, opinions, and theories out there. So I've decided that I'm going to take a little bit of time to discuss some of what I learn in this class.
Let's start with last week. We talked about the ethics of teaching evolution in schools.
When I say evolution, what comes to your mind? Does the hair on your neck bristle at the mere thought of it? Please don't tell me that when I say evolution, you think of people evolving from monkeys. There is so much more to it than that!!!!!!!!!!! <--- I cannot add enough exclamation points at the end of this statement. So... let's talk about evolution and YOU. And your CHILDREN. Are you opposed to your children being taught the theory of evolution in their schools? If so, why? I would love some comments on this. In class we were shown a "disclaimer" put all on biology textbooks in a particular Georgia school district. It went a little something like this: "While the theories presented in this textbook, especially the theory of evolution, may be controversial, may we remind you that they are only theories, and not necessarily the views of the faculty or members of the school district."
Now let me tell you something about "theories". That may sound like a loose term to all the non-scientists out there, but in "science-talk" just a theory is very important. Ever heard of the Theory of Gravity? Or the Theory of Disease from Germs? Or the Theory of a Spherical Earth? Just theories, right? In scientific language, a theory is not some sort of vague hypothesis or random guess. A theory is an idea that includes every presently known scientific experiment, observation and FACT. The theory covers every single one of them, or else it is not a theory. Knowing this, then, evolution is just as much of a FACT as gravity is, really, or else it wouldn't be given the high title of theory. Unfortunately, however, the controversies surrounding evolution will never go away as long as there are enough closed minded people out there to try to negate the findings of science.
Now let me add here that because one recognizes evolution as a proven theory, thanks to the countless studies that have been done on micro- and macroevolutionary scales, that doesn't necessarily mean that that person is anti-God, anti-Intelligent Design, or anti-JudaeoChristian beliefs. Nor does it mean that you specifically believe that humans evolved from monkeys. What we need to understand as religious people is that the Bible (or Book of Mormon, or Pearl of Great Price, etc) is not a textbook on biology, geology, astronomy, or any other science for that matter. That doesn't necessarily mean that everything in the Bible is to be understood metaphorically, because I'm sure that there is plenty in there that is quite literal, but it definitely doesn't mean that the Bible should be taken 100% literally as well. Get my point here? So, refusing to allow your child to be instructed in school about evolution and the innumerable facts that prove it is, in my opinion, just as silly as refusing to let them be taught the theory of gravity. Want to know what the church has to say about it? After years and years of discord on the matter, the BYU Department of Religious Studies and the Department of Life Sciences came together with the board of trustees of BYU (aka the 12 Apostles and the First Presidency of the Mormon Church) and created this packet called the BYU Evolution Packet, which I think many of you will find interesting. If you don't want to read it, then I will tell you that basically, they assert that Adam was indeed the first of the human race, man was created in the image of God, we are children of God, but other than that we know nothing of what methods God used to create the earth, whether it was a spontaneous creation or a creation method that utilized evolution. Here is my favorite quote from the packet:
"Our religion is not hostile to real science. That which is demonstrated, we accept with joy; but vain philosophy, human theory and mere speculations of men, we do not accept nor do we adopt anything contrary to divine revelation or to good common sense. But everything that tends to right conduct, that harmonizes with sound morality and increases faith in Deity, finds favor with us no matter where it may be found."
And with that, I will say, please don't be hostile to real science. Science truly does tesfify of God in so many miraculous ways. Often in my academic career, I have found myself faced with moral questions because science at times seems to conflict with my personal religious beliefs. However, with sincere prayer and meditation, I have always found that God truly does oversee and inspire scientists throughout the world to discover the truth about the world that we live in.
I'm taking a class this semester on bioethics. In this class we will be discussing everything from teaching evolution in schools to same-sex couple adoption to euthanasia to stem cell research. This is the kind of stuff that will (and already does!) affect your life, whether you like it or not. Unfortunately, most people are unaware of such issues and are therefore quite ignorant of the facts, opinions, and theories out there. So I've decided that I'm going to take a little bit of time to discuss some of what I learn in this class.
Let's start with last week. We talked about the ethics of teaching evolution in schools.
When I say evolution, what comes to your mind? Does the hair on your neck bristle at the mere thought of it? Please don't tell me that when I say evolution, you think of people evolving from monkeys. There is so much more to it than that!!!!!!!!!!! <--- I cannot add enough exclamation points at the end of this statement. So... let's talk about evolution and YOU. And your CHILDREN. Are you opposed to your children being taught the theory of evolution in their schools? If so, why? I would love some comments on this. In class we were shown a "disclaimer" put all on biology textbooks in a particular Georgia school district. It went a little something like this: "While the theories presented in this textbook, especially the theory of evolution, may be controversial, may we remind you that they are only theories, and not necessarily the views of the faculty or members of the school district."
Now let me tell you something about "theories". That may sound like a loose term to all the non-scientists out there, but in "science-talk" just a theory is very important. Ever heard of the Theory of Gravity? Or the Theory of Disease from Germs? Or the Theory of a Spherical Earth? Just theories, right? In scientific language, a theory is not some sort of vague hypothesis or random guess. A theory is an idea that includes every presently known scientific experiment, observation and FACT. The theory covers every single one of them, or else it is not a theory. Knowing this, then, evolution is just as much of a FACT as gravity is, really, or else it wouldn't be given the high title of theory. Unfortunately, however, the controversies surrounding evolution will never go away as long as there are enough closed minded people out there to try to negate the findings of science.
Now let me add here that because one recognizes evolution as a proven theory, thanks to the countless studies that have been done on micro- and macroevolutionary scales, that doesn't necessarily mean that that person is anti-God, anti-Intelligent Design, or anti-JudaeoChristian beliefs. Nor does it mean that you specifically believe that humans evolved from monkeys. What we need to understand as religious people is that the Bible (or Book of Mormon, or Pearl of Great Price, etc) is not a textbook on biology, geology, astronomy, or any other science for that matter. That doesn't necessarily mean that everything in the Bible is to be understood metaphorically, because I'm sure that there is plenty in there that is quite literal, but it definitely doesn't mean that the Bible should be taken 100% literally as well. Get my point here? So, refusing to allow your child to be instructed in school about evolution and the innumerable facts that prove it is, in my opinion, just as silly as refusing to let them be taught the theory of gravity. Want to know what the church has to say about it? After years and years of discord on the matter, the BYU Department of Religious Studies and the Department of Life Sciences came together with the board of trustees of BYU (aka the 12 Apostles and the First Presidency of the Mormon Church) and created this packet called the BYU Evolution Packet, which I think many of you will find interesting. If you don't want to read it, then I will tell you that basically, they assert that Adam was indeed the first of the human race, man was created in the image of God, we are children of God, but other than that we know nothing of what methods God used to create the earth, whether it was a spontaneous creation or a creation method that utilized evolution. Here is my favorite quote from the packet:
"Our religion is not hostile to real science. That which is demonstrated, we accept with joy; but vain philosophy, human theory and mere speculations of men, we do not accept nor do we adopt anything contrary to divine revelation or to good common sense. But everything that tends to right conduct, that harmonizes with sound morality and increases faith in Deity, finds favor with us no matter where it may be found."
And with that, I will say, please don't be hostile to real science. Science truly does tesfify of God in so many miraculous ways. Often in my academic career, I have found myself faced with moral questions because science at times seems to conflict with my personal religious beliefs. However, with sincere prayer and meditation, I have always found that God truly does oversee and inspire scientists throughout the world to discover the truth about the world that we live in.
2 comments:
you tell em' sista!! ha. no but i agree with you on this 100%
It really pleases me.
Post a Comment